What is DPM:
System Center Data Protection Manager (DPM) 2010 is a server-based application that enables disk-based and tape-based data protection and recovery for computers in and across Active Directory domains. DPM performs replication, synchronization, and recovery point creation to provide reliable protection and rapid recovery of data both by system administrators and by end-users.
DPM is designed to run on a dedicated, single-purpose server. The DPM server should not be installed on any of the following:
- A computer on which the Application Server role is installed
- A computer that is a System Center Operations Manager management server
- A computer on which Exchange Server is running
- A computer that is a node of a cluster
DPM 2010 designed to protect:
- Windows server 2003 to Windows server 2008 R2
- Essential Business Server 2008 and Small Business Server 2008
- Application Servers
- Exchange Server 2003 through 2010
- SQL Server 2000 through 2010
- SharePoint 2003 through 2010
- Dynamics AX 2009
- SAP running on SQL Server
Hardware and Software Requirements:
|Processor : 2.33 GHz quad core CPU
RAM : 8 GB
Diskspace : 3 GB for DPM installation
|.Net Framework 3.5 with SP1
Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable
Windows installer 4.5 or later
Single instance store
Application error reporting
SQL server 2008 SP1
- Database engine
- Reporting services
- Management tools
- SQL Client connectivity SDK
Let’s start DPM installation:
Kick off the setup file from the DVD
Click Install Data Protection Manager
Accept the license agreements
we are into the home screen of the installation now, click Next
It has gone through the prerequisites, in the above screen it shows the warning for recommended RAM since it is a test lab I’m ignoring this as of now.
Once prerequisites done it will ask you to reboot the machine for completing the installation of the prerequisite software.
Register User name and Company, click Next
Password for SQL Server Agent service
I do not want Microsoft Updates as of now, click Next –> Next
Data Protection Manager has been installed successfully. Now you can see two new icons in the desktop for DPM console and DPM shell.
First look of DPM 2010 Administrator Console. How to backup Exchange server using DPM 2010 will be covered in future.
I hope you would have enjoyed reading this!!!